Teach An Easard is an award winning country house located on the Wild Atlantic Way at Ballyconneelly approximately 6 miles from Clifden town on the Connemara Golf Course road. This is a 27 hole championship course 2 miles from Teach An Easard.

The Ballyconneelly peninsula is ringed with safe sandy beaches, Mannin and Dunloughan in the north, the Golf Course and pier beaches in the West and Bonn strand, an extensive beach stretching for one mile from Dolleen Quay to the Guinness cottages on the south.

Ballyconneelly has a list of historical firsts, Guglielmo Marconi built a massive wireless transmission station here between 1904 and 1907 employing up to 350 staff and sending the first commercial wireless signal from here, to Glace Bay in New Newfoundland, Canada in 1907. This site has now been developed to incorporate a delightful bog walk interspersed with audio and visual way points which tell the entire Marconi story. A visit here is unmissable.

The first non stop transatlantic flight culminated here ironically travelling in the opposite direction of the Marconi signal from St. Johns, Newfoundland, and landing meters from the Marconi station nose down in the bog, on the 15th of June 1919. The pilots John Alcock and Arthur W Brown walked away from the Vicars Vimy bi-plane uninjured. They were later knighted as well as claiming the 10,000 pound cheque offered by the Daily Mail for the first transatlantic flight.

Teach An Easard is ideally located to experience those historical locations as well as its tranquil beauty.

Awards

  • In 1999 the Joyce Family won the Bord Failte Agri-Tourism Regional Farmhouse Award.
  • In 2002 the family won the Bord Failte Irish Welcome Award.

Check Availability


Special Offers

Special rates are available for groups. All children under the age of 5 go free, and there is a 25% reduction for all children under the age of 12.


Finding Us


View Larger Map

The House is located 6km away from the town of Clifden on the Ballyconneely road. In Ballyconneely you stay right for 1km on the Connemara Golf Course road. The house is signposted in the village of Ballyconneely and again at the house.